York girl accused of attempting to purchase 2 iPhones with fraudulent ID, charge card
YORK COUNTY — a York that is 21-year-old woman been faced with theft and medication fees after police say she attempted to buy two iPhones on another customer’s account at a Verizon shop into the York Galleria Mall on Thursday.
Alexis Marie Mathis, associated with the 300 block of East King Street, is faced with theft by deception, identification theft, access unit fraudulence, control of the substance that is controlled control of a small amount of cannabis, and possessing the instruments of criminal activity, in accordance with Springettsbury Township Police.
Mathis had been arrested Thursday after authorities had been called to your Verizon shop by a worker whom reported a lady tried to get two iPhone XX Maxi phones, respected at $1,160 each, with recognition and charge card the employee believed were fraudulent.
Police reported into the Verizon shop situated nearby the mall’s food court, where in fact the met a shop employee whom reported:
- A suspect that is female later on defined as Mathis, joined the store at 12:04 p.m. and said she wished to buy two iPhones. The suspect reported she had been told at most useful Buy that there is a fraud alert on her account.
- The worker asked Mathisfor her username and passwords, and Mathis offered Pennsylvania ID using the true title Brenda Meline. The ID had an image of Mathis.
- Mathis wanted to show a charge card to validate her ID, and offered a Visa card with Meline’s title.
- The worker straight away suspected the ID and charge card had been fraudulent, but told Mathis the store’s would be checked by her inventory to see just what they’d, because she managed to confirm that Brenda Meline had a free account with Verizon.
- The worker came back and told Mathis the shop didn’t have the iPhones she desired in stock, but encouraged her to use A verizon that is second store the shopping center to check on their stock.
- The employee called the second store and advised them about the suspected fraud attempt after Mathis left to go to the other store.
- Mathis arrived in the store that is second short while later, and attempted to shop for the iPhones here.
- A worker during the store that is second police Brenda Meline have been a client with Verizon for 13 years, and contacted the specific Brenda Meline by phone to verify she had not been in York wanting to result in the purchase.
- The 2nd shop worker then called 911. Once the worker had been talking to 911, Mathis left the shop.
Police later discovered Mathis outside one of several Verizon stores she’d visited previously, and accompanied her to a nearby mcdonald’s, where they made connection with her.
Mathis told authorities she failed to have ID so he could verify her identification on her, and the officer asked her to come to the patrol car with him. At that true point, police state, Mathis started crying and admitted she had another ID. She told authorities she had been homeless, down on her behalf fortune, and had been here during the behest of two other folks, who have been anticipating her to come back with all the phones, based on the complaint that is criminal.
Police determined Mathis had outstanding traffic warrants against her. A search of her wallet produced the false ID and charge card, along side a Social safety Card with Mathis’ Social Security quantity on it. Police additionally discovered a synthetic bag containing suspected marijuana, four capsules by having an off-white powder substance, half a supplement of unknown origin, and a purple capsule. The bag additionally included a smoking that is non-conventional, in accordance with authorities.
After being encouraged of her Miranda liberties, police state Mathis explained that two acquaintances offered her between $1,000 and $2,000 to purchase the phones for them. They arranged to obtain the fake ID, and she had an image taken at a place how to date dutch girl CVS about fourteen days prior, she told police. One of the acquaintances, a person known as Tre, presumably offered her the wallet containing the ID that is false charge card before making her in the shopping mall. Any knowledge was denied by her of this suspected narcotics, police say.
Police told Meline the truth that her Social protection Card ended up being located in the wallet suggested the things belonged to her, the unlawful grievance states.
A search of Mathis’ phone recovered texts between Mathis and also the two other people that indicated their intend to result in the purchases that are fraudulent police state.